Thankful for mistakes

It has been approximately one year since the passing of my dad. I have spent this past year thinking a lot more about him in ways I had never imagined I would. At first, I found myself struggling to see anything outstanding and amazing that he had done in his lifetime. As a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), my dad started his own audit firm that ultimately had around 40 employees. He had done reasonably well financially and was active in civic activities through charity organizations, but didn't otherwise show a lot of outsized accomplishments.

Over time, I found myself fixated on a lot of the mistakes that he made. I felt badly that I seemed to be focused on the negative aspects, but what I learned was that his mistakes were the ones that taught me the most important lessons in life. I realized something truly amazing: that we can all literally make a ton of mistakes in life because the value we bring not only to ourselves (as long as we learn from them!) but also to those around us will be significant from that alone, even if we don't ever get to accomplish anything significant in our actual endeavors. That was a hugely freeing discovery!

For this Thanksgiving season, even though I haven't made an income since founding my business, I feel extremely grateful and am thankful for the entrepreneurial journey so far. I have learned that I am sufficiently centered in my life that I don't need a show of income to make me feel that I have worth; I am able to appreciate my own worth and feel good about it without necessarily any external indicators...somehow, that speaks volumes to me.

There's so much in this world today that is fixated on external affirmations that I believe some people are addicted to some of these so-called affirmations such as "likes" in social media. Hey, don't get me wrong, I won't be upset if you "like" this post, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it if no one reads it. This is just a self-documentation of my observations and if you find it helpful, I'd feel even more thankful for making a small impact in another human being's life.

Here's to embracing mistakes, openly admitting to them, so that you and others can learn from them. Have a happy thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular Posts