The Untouchables

It's interesting how our (human) interaction with other species e.g. dogs, cats, horses, etc. are all highly related to touch. We pet dogs, cats, and for those who are not squimish, they pet their snakes, spiders, and lizards. However, with fellow human beings, our interaction is hugely speech-directed rather than tactile-directed.

Whenever I pet my cat, she purrs with great satisfaction. She also likes it very much when I scratch her back with my fingers or the combing brush. One day husband asked me to scratch his back, and I was curious how pleasurable that could possibly be. So he, in turn, offered to scratch my back (and head!), I was completely amazed at how massaging the effects were. I was almost purring...

We seem to know how to treat our pets right! Wouldn't it be funny (and an infinitely happier place) if we were to treat fellow human beings as we do our pets (assuming we treat our pets really nicely)?

It's been said that blood pressure decreases in patients with tendencies for high blood pressure when they pet their dog/cats. Maybe we should do more of that!

Comments

Popular Posts