Calculating the cost of procrastination

It would probably be fair to say that everyone has procrastinated at some point in their lives. For some of us, we’ve procrastinated more often than we’d like to admit. The strange thing is that we all know it’s bad for us (like smoking) but we still do it any way. Similar to smoking, we get the immediate pleasure doing something more fun or relaxing even though we know full well we will pay for making that choice later. Clearly, the draw and power of procrastination is formidable.

If there is an easy way to more clearly calculate the pain that will be forthcoming from procrastinating, that might help us stay away from it.

What usually happens in the decision process is that we quickly calculate how long it will take to do the undesirable task and we figure that we can get it done by its deadline since there is plenty of time before then. But what could happen is that when the time comes, we realize that we may have wrongly estimated the amount of effort and time needed to complete the task and then we’re left with insufficient buffer time to do it all properly. That’s when we start kicking ourselves for procrastinating earlier!

If we apply a rule of thumb of doubling or even tripling the time we expect the task to be completed, we may find that it motivates us to begin right away instead of delaying further.

That was the easy stuff – doing things that absolutely have to get done...only sooner. Now, onto the doing stuff that would be nice to do, but never seems terribly urgent or important. For example, neatening up one’s desk (for those who work with me or know me well…you can stop giving me “the look”). I have been told that an uncluttered desk helps keep one’s mind clear and possibly more efficient. But that pile of paper is SO incredibly BORING to plough through, who in their right mind wants to go through it? I confess that my only motivation for my cleaning my desk is when I can’t find what I’m looking for – that’s when I know “it’s time”. In this case, I have to experience the pain before action is taken.

Can I calculate this pain in advance so that it will cause me to act sooner? Yes, but the problem is that my perception of this pain is not only small, but so far into the future that it does nothing to motivate me to do anything about it sooner. Plus, the priority of the task at hand is perceived as low.

Ok, forget pain and negative reinforcement. How about positive reinforcement? It’s always nice to have neat desk, for example. Lovely! But not high up on my list of desires and aspirations. How about possessing a clearer mind? Sounds lofty and cerebral…but it is vague and perhaps overly promissory and not entirely believable or tangible enough of a benefit. How about having more space? Well, that’s all good, but what good is having more space if you don’t fill it up? (Minimalism is not exactly my style.)

The hump that one has to overcome is the negativity associated with the task. For example, neatening up is purely a boring, laborious activity. Just thinking about it makes me yawn. So how can one make it fun, interesting, and dare I say…even exciting? Having an annual (or maybe even a quarterly) spring cleaning day where everyone around you (peer pressure can work wonders!) can be a good move. Music can be played and pictures of before and after can be posted for commendations (I can already see myself winning accolades on this one!)…yes, this could actually be kinda fun. After all, misery loves company.

Throwing away stuff is a tough one for those of us who truly believe that we might need this stuff one day. The procrastination of going through old items and throwing them away is actually one of pain avoidance. It pains me to throw things away. I find it to be wasteful. I have a very nice full set of Taylor Made golf clubs I haven’t touched in 10 years, but I might pick it back up again – no sense in throwing that away! How does one argue with that? 10 years…that doesn’t sway me. I could use those golf clubs when I retire in 30 years.

The best logic is to calculate the carrying cost for keeping these items. At $50/month for storage, I can easily buy my whole golf set and much more after 30 years. Now, that’s more clear and convincing argument! I can donate it and someone else can enjoy its use in the mean time.

Like a drug, procrastination is can a tough thing to shake off. But with more specific value attached to its cost, it might make it that much easier to walk away from it.

Comments

Popular Posts